07 / 11 / 2017
Microbiology Society Journals Prize Winners
This year we have seen an amazing amount of interest in journal-sponsored poster prizes. We would like to thank all of our Editors who have taken part and presented prizes. The winners received a cash award and a year’s complimentary membership to the Microbiology Society. Some of our winners are listed below.
- Keenan Lacey Investigating the role of cell wall-anchored proteins in Staphylococcus aureus skin infection. Dublin Academy of Pathogenomics and Infection Biology Annual Meeting
- Dara Niketic Secretion-Substrate Targeting By the Flagellar Type Three Secretion System (T3S). Bacterial Locomotion and Signal Transduction Conference
- Christian Schwall Single cell sigma factor dynamics in Bacillus subtilis. 19th International Conference on Bacilli & Gram-Positive Bacteria
- Geoffrey Gourinchas Designer Biology: From proteins and cells to scaffolds and materials. Designer Biology Conference
- Fabio Amadei The MoCo Riboswitch. Molybdenum and Tungsten Enzymes Conference
- Kourtney Cousser Bacterial secreted factors regulate mucormycete germination. 7th Advanced Lecture Course Human Fungal Pathogens: molecular mechanisms of host-pathogen interactions and virulence
Journal of General Virology
- Rachid Tahzima New developments in the epidemiology of Little cherry virus 1 and its occurrence in European plum Prunus domestica L. in Belgium. 24th International Conference on Virus and other Graft Transmissible Diseases of Fruit Crops
- Ioanna Malandraki Simultaneous detection of pome fruit-tree viruses by triplex quantitative RT-PCR. 24th International Conference on Virus and other Graft Transmissible Diseases of Fruit Crops
- Catherine Redmond Characterization of HPV16 Integration Loci using Fiber-FISH. DNA Tumour Virus 2017
Journal of Medical Microbiology
- Joshua Raji, Graduate Oral Communication Prize, and Brett Colbert, Undergraduate Oral Communication Prize. 19th Annual Biomedical and Comparative Immunology Symposium
- Dearbhla Lenehan Characterisation of Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide adherence to platelet receptors. Dublin Academy of Pathogenomics and Infection Biology Annual Meeting
- Leah Roberts Outbreak of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii (CRAB) in a Brisbane intensive care unit. Conference on Applied Bioinformatics and Public Health Microbiology
- Wei Ding panX: an interactive tool to construct and explore bacterial pan-genomes. Conference on Applied Bioinformatics and Public Health Microbiology
- Nelly Sélem Mojica CORASON: CORe analysis of syntenic orthologs to prioritize natural products biosynthetic gene clusters. 18th International Symposium on the Biology of Actinomycetes
International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
- Yeonjung Lim Isolation of two novel marine bacteria belonging to the 4-Org1-14 and OCS 116 clades of Alphaproteobacteria and their genomic characterisation. 2017 International Meeting of the Microbiology Society of Korea
If you would like to hear more about our winners, be sure to check out our end-of-year round-up on our website.
Journal of Medical Microbiology introduces new categories
Earlier this year we saw an introduction to Co-Editors-in- Chief Norman Fry, Public Health England, and Kalai Mathee, Florida International University, to the journal. With the aim of growing the journal for its readership, two new section categories have been introduced. The introduction of these categories will define the huge response in submissions within the Clinical Microbiology category.
Disease, Diagnosis and Diagnostics
Section Editor: Arunaloke Chakrabarti, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), India.
Section Editor: Vincent Cattoir, University of Caen Normandy, France.
For more information on these categories as well as others please see Journal of Medical Microbiology's website.
IJSEM welcomes new Editor-in-Chief
We are delighted to announce the appointment of Associate Editor Martha Trujillo as the new Editor-in-Chief of International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology (IJSEM). An Editor for the journal since 2009, Martha has already contributed a wealth of experience and knowledge to IJSEM. President of the Bergey’s International Society for Microbial Systematics and Editor for Bergey’s Manual of Archaea and Bacteria, she is a leading expert in microbial ecology and systematics, with over 120 publications to her name.
After obtaining a PhD in Microbial Systematics from Newcastle University, Professor Trujillo completed a postdoc at Novartis International AG and then joined Instituto Biomar, S.A. as research group leader for the marine fungi screening programme laboratory, before moving to the University of Salamanca in Spain in 2002. Now Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Science, she leads the microbial ecology and biotechnology research group. Her main research areas are actinobacterial systematics and microbial ecology, with a special interest in plant–actinobacteria interactions, and bacterial communities that inhabit deteriorated stone monuments and arid environments.
We would also like to say a huge thank you to Aharon Oren for all his hard work and sincere dedication to the role during his tenure as Editor-in-Chief. We are immensely pleased to be retaining his experience and expertise as Nomenclature Reviewer and List Editor for the journal.