How members can get involved with our policy activities
The Microbiology Society aims to promote a better understanding of microbiology and highlight the important role of microbiologists to policy-makers, opinion-formers and the public. Members can help us achieve these aims by sharing their expertise and getting involved in our policy activities. Your involvement may help inform policy decisions relevant to microbiology, or indeed, society as a whole. It is also a great opportunity for professional development and furthering the impact of your research and expertise.
Ways members can contribute to the Society’s policy work include:
- Contribute to consultation responses. We respond to a variety of consultations from Government and other policy organisations, which cover diverse topics, such as antimicrobial resistance, research funding priorities and science education policy. Keep an eye out in our monthly newsletter for calls for views and evidence from members.
- Let us know about your expertise and interest in getting involved. If you would like to be listed as a member who is keen to contribute their expertise to inform our policy activities, such as consultation responses and position statements, please get in touch with our our Policy Officer.
- Policy workshops and events. The Society sometimes holds workshops with members to inform our policy work, and also invites members to attend other policy events. Visit our policy events listing and read our monthly newsletter to find out about upcoming events.
- Organise an event. Do you have an idea for an event to engage the public with a microbiology-relevant policy issue? Eligible members can apply for one of our Education and Outreach Grants to make it happen. Our Policy Officer can also provide help and advice.
- Let us know about relevant policy issues or activities. If you are aware of a policy issue or activity of relevance to the Society’s members let our Policy Officer know.
Opportunities for collaboration
The Microbiology Society welcomes potential opportunities for collaboration with individuals and organisations on policy activities aligned with our aims and objectives. Please contact our Policy Officer with any enquiries.